In order to simplify the display of search results on Amazon, products are presented according to the parent-child model. The basis for this concept is that the child articles only differ in a few details, e.g. in color or size. These articles are grouped under the “parent” product. This constellation makes it possible to keep the search queries more general and still offers the interested suitable search results without specifying size or color in the search query.
On the product detail page, the customer can choose different sizes or colors and use a wider selection than displayed on the SERP (Search Engine Result Page). The parent item cannot be purchased. It only represents the connection to the subordinate products (childs). When creating a parent, it is important that no detailed information of the child is provided, e.g. color/name, size/number of pieces, color, scent, etc.
Product selection of parents
How do I find out if my products are suitable for a parent-child relationship?
Amazon gives its sellers the following help on the way:
- Are the articles generally the same?
- Are there only minor differences in individual properties?
- Would the customer expect these variants on the product detail page?
- Is the title suitable for both products?
If these questions can be answered positively, it can be assumed that these are valid “childs”.
Examples of valid variants:
- Identical products only differ in color design
- The product is available in different fragrances
- Product is available in different sizes and colors
- When is no variant relationship available?
- There is only one child article
- the products are assigned to different product types
- the products need different product descriptions
- the title of the individual products differs
- the customer does not expect to see these products on the product details page
Examples of invalid variants:
- Bath additive, shampoo and body powder with the same fragrance (but different SKUs, sold separately)
- Short-sleeved and long-sleeved shirts from the same manufacturer
- Plate, salad bowl and soup cups with the same pattern, but offered separately with own SKU